Friday, February 12, 2010

In Support of the Revitalization of the Hippie Regime


I just decided that I'd like my next boyfriend to be a hippie.

I'm not saying I want to date a stoner...I'm talking about an ambitious hippie. Someone who goes to farmers markets, has unkempt hair, listens to the Alman Brothers, maybe has a poncho...and most importantly, believes in things that most people gave up on during the 1980s (I blame David Hasselhoff): things like spirituality and world peace and human potential. I would like my boyfriend to own exactly 3 pairs of pants (and one pair will be exclusively for spelunking).

Don't you get the feeling sometimes, that ambitious hippies understand something about life that we missed? Could the secret to contentment lie somewhere in that nest of hair?

On another note, this week I went to my first practice with the Swim/Water Polo team. It...was awesome. 45 minutes of swimming (which is exactly the maximum length of time I can swim without getting really bored) followed by 45 minutes of Polo. It was my first time playing in an actual Polo game. I was pretty pumped about putting on that little goofy cap with the ear guards! I even made an assist during the game! (By "assist," I mean that I threw the ball au hasard across the pool, and a guy in an identical goofy ear-guard cap happened to be in that general vicinity.)

On a related note: we (the 16 Americans in my program....self-described as "Team America") have realized that all of the clubs at the university boil down to being "Sport X/Drinking Team." Which sort of explains why Ireland only has 2 women going to the Winter Olympics this year. (And it's a bobsled team...They probably started out as the "Bobsled/Drinking Team," but then realized they could actually lose limbs by taking too many shots before jumping onto a high-speed, blade-driven vehicle).


Slang of the Day: "Slagging off" (=talking behind someone's back)

No comments:

Post a Comment