Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Je suis Ratatouille

"...This is where I live?"
I finally took a good long run by myself today. I know I said I'd never try again in Aix, because everyone stares at you; but I did try again, because I realized I don't really care if people stare--maybe I'll become some sort of local celebrity if I do it enough. So I found a series of hills to run. At the top I turned around to start heading home, & what I saw literally took my breath away. I was standing in the hills of France & could see the whole city below me; & I could see (for the first time) the mountains sitting sleepily behind the city, wrapped in the warm purpleness of the sunset. I stopped running & just stood there for several minutes smiling & thinking to myself incredulously, "This is where I live." 

In a Word...
I am currently reading the book Eat Pray Love (Elizabeth Gilbert). She says that every city has a single word that defines it, that "identifies most people who live there." For example, she says New York's word is ACHIEVE, whereas Los Angeles's word is SUCCEED. Naples's word is FIGHT. (I'm referring to Italy's Naples, not Florida's Naples. Florida's Naples's word would be more like SCUFFLE.)

So I asked myself last night, "What is Aix's word?" At this point, I think Aix's word is PROTECT. They are fiercely protective of their culture. Everything here is ancient & perfectly preserved, because they protect their past. You can see the protectiveness in the people in the streets, as well: people don't make eye contact with passers-by, & (as mentioned) they certainly don't smile at strangers. (Let's be honest, the French can be a little up-tight about certain things.)

Despite Aix's word being PROTECT (for now), the individuals can be very kind, even to strangers. For example, the guy always working in my grocery store always says something friendly to me (well, God knows what he's saying, but it certainly sounds friendly) & today he became the first guy in Aix to open a door for me. (Warning to Southern girls: they aren't particularly chivalrous here!) 

I Knew I'd Find It...
Those who know me well know that I get "stuck" on certain foods--meaning, I'll eat the exact same thing every day, & I will look forward to it each time as if I hadn't eaten it in years. Past examples of this include Smoothie King, fig bars, lentils, and Special K with yogurt. Today I discovered my next food love: Ratatouille Provencale. I buy it from my new friend at the grocery store for about $1. It is both delicious & reminiscent of that adorable movie.

According to Madame Bach...
Contrary to popular belief in the States, French people like Americans a lot. In fact, my French roommate says they think we are very open-minded & accommodating of many types of people. They LOVE our music, our movies, our celebrities, etc. Rihanna is playing in the cafe. Britney Spears is playing in the drug store. So don't let anyone tell you different.

Madame & Monsieur Bach say that I've already made noticeable progress with my French. (Allison Stohl & Blair Slingerland: Madame is originally from Southern Spain, so I talked to her about you guys!) 

Madame calls me "La fille avec le grand sourire," which means "The girl with the big smile." 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Fille avec la grande sourire--

    I saw a picture of that huge rock mountain behind Aix. It was amazing. I hope you find time to post some pix soon. I'm so glad you're running and not worrying about fitting in. You can be the mysterious American runner. I only wish you had your glam sunglasses.

    What would Nashville's name be?

    love,
    Mamman

    ReplyDelete
  2. those tight running leggings attract eyes from near and far.

    haha it was only a matter of time before you found your 'fix' food. $1 ratatouille? bring your grocery friend back home with you.

    fun fact du jour: For their love of beans–particularly cannellini simmered in olive oil and herbs until creamy–Tuscans have been disparagingly nicknamed mangiafagioli (bean eaters) by Italians from other regions

    i knew it was meant to be. i'm sure they would welcome you too seeing you are fagioli royalty. i can't wait to join you in europe SOON!!

    ciao xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Fille Avec Fagioli... Oh, that's not right, is it? I love your writing. Love, D

    ReplyDelete